Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Quitting

I must do it a hundred times a year. Writing a story is bliss. The industry is hell. I suppose that's true for most artists these days, sadly.

It saddens me more to read about authors quitting for good. Last weekend, another one gave up for the reason above. She couldn't take all the promo.

It can be exhausting. And for someone so behind the times as me, nearly impossible to navigate. I have a Twitter account but am a dunce at it - my tweets generally come from my FB page. I know I should take the time to learn to use it, but I don't use my phone for online tasks, and I already use too much computer time on marketing stuff. I did a rough tally of time I spend online versus writing, and writing time has taken a huge hit. Something I can barely afford because life interrupts too often.

Then there's the turmoil within the publishing industry itself. Amazon's letter asking writers to plead with Hachette was almost laughable. It brought to mind the dialogue in the movie Red, when the CIA held the girl in custody and said if she wanted to save the guy, she had to help the CIA. Her response: "You're asking me for help? That is so lame. He's going to eat you alive."

Yeah. Something like that, Amazon.

But enough about their drama. I disconnect from all that when I write. My laptop has no Internet connection and I can focus on the story alone (except when I need to do research, then I have to switch to the desktop).

Apparently, the state of the publishing industry has gotten to many writers. It's becoming more frequent to read about writers who quit. These writers are a good example of the frustrations we all go through. And also the reasons we keep writing.

Lately, it's felt as if the universe is pushing me toward something else. I don't put a lot of stock in horoscopes, but if I did, I'd note the increasing trend of them telling me to switch occupations if I want to make money.

That's the real issue. Compensation. People in third world countries earn higher salaries than many writers. In fact, my hubby's helping me with a side project related to my photography that I may share later on if it actually develops (no pun intended. Well, a little maybe).

So am I quitting? No more than usual. Maybe after I finish the dozen WIPs I've started. Oh, and I had a few more killer story ideas...